A Personal Insurance Update
As you consider buying your first or second home, it pays to have a good understanding of just what you are getting into when it comes to home ownership. Here are a few tips for you to think about before you make that move.
- If you rent now, it would be good to have renter’s insurance. Even if it for a short period, renter’s insurance can cover certain losses during the move.
- When looking for a home consider things like the distance of the house to the nearest fire station and are there fire hydrants in your neighborhood?
- Think about the age of the house as some older home can be very costly to replace.
- If you are building a house, does it make sense to install sprinklers
- Is the location in a flood zone or prone to flooding?
- Is the area in an earthquake zone?
- Check with the local police to see the crime rate of the neighborhood.
- Always have your home inspected before you commit to buy.
Don’t wait until the last minute to think about homeowner’s insurance and don’t be shy about asking for estimates on more than one house. Ask if the house will qualify, and get an estimate of the premium. Call our office, and we can help you understand how these and other items will affect your homeowner’s insurance costs.
Choosing the right coverage for your home may depend on a number of factors. You generally need enough insurance to cover the cost of rebuilding your home and replacing your personal possessions. The homeowner's policy also provides liability insurance to defend you in the event of a lawsuit.
Heaton Bennett Insurance is an Independent Insurance Agency, which means we represent many different companies so we can find the one that is right for you. We can shop your insurance for you instead of you having to call around.