Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the people of Houston. Hurricane Harvey caused over 75 billion dollars of damage. While this is fresh on our minds, let’s get prepared for the unexpected. This could be a flood, hurricane, earthquake, wild fire, or any other event that causes damage to our homes.
Remember, your homeowners insurance may or may not cover the next disaster, so it is a good idea to have our team complete a personal insurance review. Here are some things you can do right now. Ready.gov has provided many good resources.
Basic Preparedness Tips
- Know where to go. If you are ordered to evacuate, know the local evacuation route(s) to take and have a plan for where you can stay. Contact your local emergency management agency for more information.
- Put together a “go-bag” or disaster supply kit should you need to evacuate, including a flashlight, batteries, cash, first aid supplies, medications, and copies of your critical information.
- If you are not in an area that is advised to evacuate and you decide to stay in your home, plan for adequate supplies in case you lose power and water for several days and you are not able to leave due to flooding or blocked roads.
- Make a family emergency communication plan and review it regularly with members.
- Many communities have text or email alerting systems for emergency notifications. To find out what alerts are available in your area, search the Internet with your town, city, or county name and the word “alerts.”
- If there is a chance of flash flooding, move immediately to higher ground.
- If floodwaters rise around your car but the water is not moving, abandon the car and move to higher ground. Do not leave the car and enter moving water.
- Avoid camping or parking along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
- Disconnect electrical appliances and do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water. You could be electrocuted.
- If instructed, turn off your gas and electricity at the main switch or valve. This helps prevent fires and explosions.
We service the Austin area and throughout the state of Texas. At Heaton Bennett Insurance, each one of our clients is given a dedicated team of experts that work together to proficiently address all your concerns.
We offer all types of Personal Insurance coverages to our clients in Texas including Auto Insurance, Condo Insurance, Individual Life Insurance, Renters Insurance, and Homeowners Insurance. Some other coverages include: Landlord policies, Renters, Motorcycle, Boat, Vacant Dwellings and Umbrella.
More resources for you